to Traffic Collisions
Place this checklist in your glove compartment or save this link in your smartphone: Traffic Collision Checklist
After a traffic collision,
take the following steps:
Police: Contact the police, sheriff or
- Insist that the officer take a report.
2. Involved Person Identification: Obtain the
following information from each and every person involved in the collision:
- Vehicle license plate number:
- Driver's license number:
- Insurance information:
3. Witness Identification: Obtain from each
- Telephone Number:
Take photographs of the following:
- Scene: The collison/accident scene;
- Vehicles: All vehicles involved (before
Any visible injuries (cuts, bruises, swelling).
anyone about the accident or injuries except:
Officer(s): Talk to police officers about accident and
doctor(s): Talk to your medical professionals (See #8 below).
lawyer: Speak to your lawyer (It's confidential).
Adjuster: Don't speak to an insurance adjuster about
without first receiving legal advise. Anything you
and will be used against you!
7. Promptly seek medical attention.
8. Tell your physician or doctor:
- Briefly how
the injury occurred ("I was involved in an intersectional
traffic collison."); and
- All of
your symptoms and complaints.
memory problems, confusion or disorientation to your physician,
chiropractor, or healthcare practitioner even if it seems minor.
anything without first consulting an attorney at law.
10. Call an experienced personal injury
receive a consultation.